Labels

Monday, August 18, 2014

I am Narcissistic...

People tell me all the time that I am narcissistic.  "Oh yeah you know you're cute", they say.

So I admit it...

I know I'm pretty.

But let me tell you what else I know.


I know that the idea of 'pretty' is a joke.

A falsification.  An illusion governed by social law.

Physical beauty is an idea that traps people in their bodies; constrains them to the idea that long hair, pretty eyes, the right skin tone, a sexy body is the measure of their worth.


It is an idea that breeds insecurity,  low self worth, self hatred and negative outlooks on life and the world.  People spend their lives searching for validation in their outer appearance.  Maybe if my eyes were hazel or blue, or if my stomach was smaller, or if I was taller...then maybe just maybe I would be pretty.


STOP IT.


Am I pretty because I just so happened to be born with a set of physical characteristics which society has deemed as so?  Or because I have poked, pricked, cut, dyed, bleached, and changed my body to parallel an ever changing social construct?


Or,


Am I beautiful because I am exactly who I am supposed to be? Because I know who I am and I know that I am perfect exactly as God/the Creator/the Universe made me?




Check out these links!

Pretty by Katie Makkai                      So Fly by Elle Varner 


No comments:

Post a Comment